Vira M. Sivachuk
I was born in Siberia, the daughter of a Ukranian Soviet Officer and grew up in Ukraine when we returned after his tour. I graduated from Lviv University in 1997 with a Master's Degree in Journalism. I emigrated to the United States in 2001 and worked in video production until 2010 before pursuing a BS in Nursing at Penn State University. The work in video seeded the need to work visually and I found myself attracted more and more to photography as the years passed. Eventually I found my stride in black & white street photography and have worked in that medium and genre for years now. I am particularly fond of large public gatherings in which I can find the patterns, compositions, characters and sub-plots hidden in the chaos. Subtle ironies, moments of compassion or flamboyant showmanship are favorite finds. I also delve into performance photography, (stage and musical), environmental portraiture and assignment projects that align with my approach.
Awards and Articles:
- Black & White Magazine - 2020 Portfolio Contest - Merit Award with 2-page spread (three photos)
- Pennsylvania Center for Photography - 2020 Odyssey Exhibition - Director's Choice Award http://www.pacenterforphotography.org/odyssey-2020-winners-and-gallery-page/
- Black & White Magazine - 2020 Single Image Contest-Winner https://www.bandwmag.com/galleries/bw/contests/32/photographs/102892
- Peerspace.com article - "The 11 Best Street Photographers in Philadelphia," May, 2021 The 11 Best Street Photographers in Philadelphia | Peerspace
- Black & White Magazine - 2022 Single Image Contest-Winner